Our goals for our students include the following:
- Deepening their critical reading and thinking skills
- Teaching them how to contemplate and then to compose good scholarly questions
- Helping them find, evaluate, and employ the resources that can help answer these questions
- Guiding them as they craft thoughtful, clear, and well-supported arguments
- Encouraging them to revise by re-engaging with their questions, and re-envisioning their arguments
We further hope that our courses encourage students to develop the rhetorical flexibility that will enable them to address the challenges of writing in a variety of situations, with a variety of modes, and in a variety of disciplines.